myspace civilized
phidias showing frieze of parthenon to his friends
custom "online now" icon
Talking about this little guy:



1600 square pixels so ugly, awkward, and ubiquitous that it has, in its own inimitable way, become iconic.

Anyway, after seeing several sites that will help you customize this for yourself, I started tinkering with my stylesheet and came up with my own icon.

Here's the code:

<style type="text/css">
table table table td.text div img {visibility:hidden;}
table table table td.text div { background-image:url("http://klenwell.net/img_bin/moshi/online_icon.png"); background-repeat:no-repeat;}
table table table td.text table table div img { visibility:visible; }
table table table td.text table table div { background-image:none; }
</style>


This will display this icon:



It looked to me like it will display when you are offline as well, but it's hard to know exactly how myspace handles it -- whether it dynamically tweaks the css or the html. To test how well it works, you can check the moshi profile. It it says that I'm online, then it probably displays all the time, since I'm rarely signed in.

When I have time, I'll play with it some more and see if I can come up with both online and offline icons that display appropriately.